The global model has been in production since 1989 and is now in its fourth-generation. While the landmark one-millionth Mazda MX-5 is set to go on a global promotional tour.
“From the first generation through to today’s fourth-generation model, the reason we have been able to continue selling the MX-5 all these years is due to the strong support of fans around the world,” said
“Mazda was founded in Hiroshima 96 years ago, and as we move toward our centennial year we will continue offering customers the joy of driving with this model, which has become a symbol of our brand.
“Mazda aims to create a special bond with customers and become a ‘one-and-only’ brand they will choose again and again.”
History of the Mazda MX-5:
- Feb 1989 - Original MX-5 debuts at Chicago Auto Show
- Oct 1997 - Second-generation MX-5 debuts at Tokyo Motor Show
- Dec 1998 - 10th Anniversary Limited Edition MX-5 launched
- May 2000 - Recognized by Guinness World Records as the world’s best-selling two-seater sports car (531,890 units produced)
- Jan 2002 - Production reaches 600,000 units (Guinness World Record updated)
- Mar 2005 - Third-generation MX-5 debuts at Geneva International Motor Show
- Apr 2005 - Production reaches 700,000 units (Guinness World Record updated)
- Jul 2006 - Retractable hardtop model debuts at British International Motor Show
- Jan 2007 - Production reaches 800,000 units (Guinness World Record updated)
- Jul 2009 - 20th Anniversary Limited Edition MX-5 launched
- Feb 2011 - Production reaches 900,000 units (Guinness World Record updated)
- Apr 2014 - 25th Anniversary Edition MX-5 launched
- Sep 2014 - Fourth-generation MX-5 debuts
- Mar 2016 - Mazda MX-5 RF debuts at New York International Auto Show
- Mar 2016 - Mazda MX-5 becomes first and only car to win both World Car of the Year and World Design of the Year at the New York International Auto Show
The 2016 Mazda MX-5 range in Australia is priced from $31,990.